[wp-testers] Trunk rev 4215

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Mon Sep 25 22:33:11 GMT 2006

Ryan Duff wrote:
> With such a large community, especially those in the coding side, heck,
> even the user side... and the way things like this always happen... I'm
> amazed that you still just do things, give no reason, then don't even
> reason with the users when they complain.

I'm happy to further articulate the thinking and assumptions behind this
decision, though it would help if you could separate those questions
from the personal attacks. Maybe a new thread?

WordPress is the result of thousands of arbitrary decisions, from the
colors to the way wordpress.org works to the database class. WordPress
is opinionated software. As the person who made the decision to include
the plugin in the first place I'm intimately familiar with the arguments
for including it, and nine months later I don't think they're as compelling.

> Once again, it comes down to something you developed, think is better
> than someone else's work and you remove the third party work. In modern
> day comparison, you *are* Microsoft.

I've never claimed to be a great coder, most of the best stuff in
WordPress was written by Owen, Ryan, Michael, Robert, or someone else.
If I was terribly egotistical about having only my code in the project
there probably wouldn't be many WP users today.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://automattic.com | http://akismet.com