[wp-testers] Trunk rev 4215

Stefano steagl at people.it
Mon Sep 25 11:14:17 GMT 2006

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 12:19:42 -0700, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com>
wrote:

>Stefano wrote:
>> Then before to eliminate it would have been better having a real
>> alternative to it, i think lof of user use it and with wp-cron plugin
>> is a real easy way to have people do backup that in other way would be
>> missed... and removing it without a solution that cover al the
>> function tjat the plugin does it's not a good idea
>
>There is nothing stopping you from continuing to use the plugin, I just
>don't think it's appropriate to bundle with core anymore.

I know iI can still use it, I'm thinking about end users, lot of them
missing to backup, maybefor lazyness maybe cause they get cluttered by
PhPMyAdmin backup etc, i know lot fo people that relay on this. Here
in Italy basic hosting service rarely offer cron support (and people
even having it rarely use it) so the plugin it's really usefull.

Having it included in WP distro made people use it and beeing view not
as a plugin, but as a WP feature, removing it without an alternative
solution leave end users wondering why... and what to do from now,
probably they wont' relay on it again cause the motivation for the
removal is a security problem, and we will fall back to tons of blogs
with no easy backup system.

Removing it for security problem maybe it's necessary but people will
wonder why the problem wasn't solved, a other security problem we had
iun the past, but just bypassed.

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it