[wp-testers] About DB Backup

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Sep 25 19:15:41 GMT 2006

We originally included the DB backup plugin because we didn't offer a
proper exporter.  Import/export has long been on the to-do but no one
has stepped up.  Finally, Matt and some others wrote an exporter and
made it happen.  Since the DB backup plugin is currently unmaintained
and since we now have an exporter, the backup plugin was dropped.  If
someone wants to pick up the backup plugin, have at it.  As for core, I
think we should build upon the exporter.  Ideas for allowing plugins to
hook into import/export are welcome.  Also, we have a built-in
psuedo-cron implementation in 2.1 that can be used to add scheduling
features to the exporter either as a core feature or as a plugin.

Ryan