[wp-testers] categories and blogroll and posts 2.1

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 17:39:14 GMT 2006

On 13 Sep 2006, at 17:31, david hodgkins wrote:

> Back in August Andy Stains wrote:
>
> "Can anyone tell me how, now that categories and link categories are
> merged into a single table, the 'links only' categories can be hidden
> from the drop down on the Write Post page? If you want to keep them
> separate like I suspect many users do, this is unwanted clutter and
> confusion. Are the new 'posts_private' and 'links_private' fields
> going to do this at some point?"
>
> I haven't seen this addressed.  (My last download was sept. 6).

The idea is that they can be shared - however this is not
consistently done - Add Link only shows categories which contain
links - So it doesn't show the default bookmark category even.

I think this definitely needs fixing and have add some commentary to
this effect on the link categories ticket here: http://
trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2499

> Having the two categories together isn't ideal.  The create post
> page's selection is going to be long, and the  category sidebar list
> long.

The list of categories in the sidebar will only display categories
with posts in by default.

> But I can see the benefit of having  all the categories together on
> the create post page. (If I understand how it works.)  I post about a
> new website in the blog and add the link into the blogroll.
>
> Maybe something like this would work: Have two seperate selection
> fields in write posts, one for each type of category.  That way one
> can be collapsed.  Or put them together, but seperate them, blogs on
> top, links below.
>
> And definately a template tag to exclude links from lists and such.

All the template tags which worked with the two types of categories
before the merge still work on the two types of categories in the
same way AFAIK if not this is a bug and raise a ticket on trac.  If
you can't make a patch to fix it someone else will I'm sure

westi
--
http://blog.ftwr.co.uk/