[wp-testers] UTF-8 problem

wordpress at nazgul.nu wordpress at nazgul.nu
Sun Nov 26 19:39:42 GMT 2006

>> Nevertheless, I think WP should define the 'set names' parameter to
>> whatever charset is used blog-wide (bloginfo('charset'); 'UTF8' in
>> most cases), as many of default mysql installations will be using
>> 'latin1' by default.
>I always take care to create the database as UTF-8, so the tables
>inherit this when created by WP.
>
>It would be good if WP used "set names" to match the charset used by
>the blog.  This way the data would be automatically converted correctly
>by MySQL.
Unfortunately, the value for the charset used by the blog is stored in the
database. This makes it kind of a chicken<->egg problem.

>Having apps just rely on the MySQL configuration makes life difficult
>when the apps have to disagree on the charset used.
>
>It would also be great to have a hook in the wpdb class constructor to
>run extra queries like "set names".
There are already a couple of tickets in Trac related to SET NAMES. (3184,
2942 and 2828)
If (one of) those get(s) "fixed" this issue should be resolved.

Regards,
Bas Bosman (Nazgul)