[wp-testers] UTF-8 problem

Kimmo Suominen kimmo+key+wordpress.c4f53f at suominen.com
Sun Nov 26 19:26:23 GMT 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 02:09:54PM +0200, Rimas Abromavi?ius wrote:
> Nevertheless, I think WP should define the 'set names' parameter to
> whatever charset is used blog-wide (bloginfo('charset'); 'UTF8' in
> most cases), as many of default mysql installations will be using
> 'latin1' by default.

I always take care to create the database as UTF-8, so the tables
inherit this when created by WP.

It would be good if WP used "set names" to match the charset used by
the blog.  This way the data would be automatically converted correctly
by MySQL.

Having apps just rely on the MySQL configuration makes life difficult
when the apps have to disagree on the charset used.

It would also be great to have a hook in the wpdb class constructor to
run extra queries like "set names".

Best regards,
+ Kimmo
--