[wp-testers] Request for two file changes, someone?

Roy Schestowitz wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com
Wed Jun 28 07:30:47 GMT 2006

___/ On Tue 27 Jun 2006 19:53:13 BST, [ Rob Miller ] wrote : \___

> ravi wrote:
>> At around 26/6/06 11:44 pm, Tyson Tate wrote:
>>
>>> If you're in the Open Source world for fame, glory, beautiful women, and
>>> lavish praise, you're in the wrong field.
>>>

>> You mean there are no Richard Stallman groupies? ;-)
>>
>> So, where does one start looking at how to contribute to WP? Knock off a
>> few bugs? I did summarily glance at the web page (which is a bit sparse)
>> but there is probably info there I could use, but now that I have wasted
>> your time in order to try out my feeble humour, might as well burden you
>> all with my questions!
>>
> Install an SVN build of WordPress, head over to
> http://trac.wordpress.org/ and start reporting and fixing bugs.
> Create patches and if they get accepted, voila! You've contributed to
> WP.

In principle, just running the lastest of WordPress, hunting bugs and
reporting them in the process, makes this a contribution. If you haven't
got SVN installed, you may find the following useful:

,----[ Code ]
| # Server-side
|
| cd /home/<username>/tmp   # need full path for cron
| wget http://static.wordpress.org/builds/wordpress-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.gz
| rm wordpress-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar # delete
| gunzip wordpress-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.gz
| tar xf wordpress-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar # uncompress and untar
| cp -rf wordpress ~/public_html/<your_wordpress_dir> # overwrite old files
| rm -rf wordpress # clean up
| rm /home/<username>/public_html/<your_wordpress_dir>/wp-admin/install*
|     # secure
|
| # Desktop-side
|
| cd /tmp/   # need full path for cron
| rm -rf /home/<username>/public_html/wordpress #
| wget http://static.wordpress.org/builds/wordpress-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.gz
| rm /tmp/wordpress-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar # delete
| gunzip /tmp/wordpress-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar.gz
| tar xf /tmp/wordpress-`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar # uncompress and untar
| cp -rf /tmp/wordpress /home/<username>/public_html/ # overwrite old files
| rm -rf /tmp/wordpress # clean up
`----

Just run one of these as a cron job (depending on whether your host permits
this to run directly on the Web server).

> Owen's wonderful guide on how to make a patch is here:
>
> http://asymptomatic.net/2005/12/03/2142/how-to-patch-wordpress/
>
> Good luck and god speed!

In addition to Michael's pointer to the Codex, have a look at (or edit):

http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Matt/WordPress_Responsibilities

With kind regards,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
  8:25am  up 61 days 13:28,  12 users,  load average: 0.92, 1.07, 1.14