[wp-testers] Suggestions for better localization

Abhay Kumar aranis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 15:42:54 GMT 2006

> What I'm suggesting is that the code modifies to include the
> "»" inside the gettext msgid instead of (somtimes) outside.
> That way even english sites can make a translation that skips the
> quotation marks in buttons and links (if they choose).
I definiately agree with this part. At the least, the code should be
consistent and in the best case, we are internationalizing the code
more. What you could do for this is to submit a bug ticket on trac
noting all the locations in the code where this should be changed or
to actually submit a patch on trac that has all the changes.

> The other thing I found is that WP translates the inch sign (") into
> typographic quotes (or "curly quotes"). But this translation is made
> into english typography. A lot of other languages use other quote signs.

> My suggestion is that this is turned in to a preference in (perhaps)
> Options-General, where it's up to the admin to choose the typographic
> quotes. This type of preference are available in Indesign, Quark
> Xpress and other design and typographic software.
Sounds like a feature request. Submit a second ticket about this and
If you can make the change, do it.

> Also it would be nice (but maybe not as important) to choose what
> character to use as decimal separator in WP generated text. In
> english it's correct to use a point (.) to separate decimals, and to
> use a comma (,) to separate thousands. But this is not true for other
> languages. In swedish we use comma to separate decimal, and a space
> to separate thousands.
Also another feature request. You can combine this into the 2nd
ticket. These can be implemented as a plugin or maybe an aspect of the
core code. I think the latter would be better.

> These suggestions might not seem important to all you developers and
> non-designers  out there. But to us who wants nice and localized
> correct typography this is very important.
Don't take it too personally. Using language like "These suggestions
might not seem important at all to you developers and non-designers"
makes you seem bitter. This assumption you are making is far from the
truth. The whole point of actively developed open-source code is to
bring in the opinions and the needs of the full community and
implement them in an effective manner. Some of your ideas may not be
accepted into the core code but that's why we have pluggable code.
Keep an open mind.

AK
--
Abhay Kumar