[wp-testers] Nightly Builds/WinZip Replacement

tsykoduk tsykoduk at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 18:38:25 GMT 2006

Or, simply

gzip -d foo.tar.gz

and then

tar -cvf foo.tar

Not the most elegant method - but I have never had it fail on any linux box.
My Macs automagically uncompress and untar the tarballs, so it's super easy
there.

As far as the zip/tarball discussion - I fully support having bolth. I
personally only use the tarballs, but why exclude folks who don't know what
a tarball is? Does it really take that much longer to create a zipfile as
well as a tarball? If wordpress was only aimed at sysadmins or other console
jockeys, then I could see not having the zips, but as it stands, keep bolth.

But, if Zip is the only supported version in the future, then just use unzip
on the comand line. A good console jockey will get it done :)

On 1/12/06, Doug Stewart <dstewart at atl.lmco.com> wrote:

> nga wrote:
> > Linux:
> > - well, i don't know but I think there is from the OS within a  support
> > for TAR.GZ
> >

> The GNU Tar implementation that the majority of Linux distros ship
> allows for handling .gz files with the "z" flag and .bz2 files with the
> "j" flag.
>
> For instance:
>
> `tar xvzf wordpress.nightly.tar.gz`
>
> will expand and untar the file in the current directory.
>
> If you're on an older Solaris machine or on a *NIX box that doesn't use
> the GNU or UCB tar, you can always use gzcat and pipe it to tar:
>
> `gzcat wordpress.nightly.tar.gz | tar xvf -`
>
> Make sure you include that last dash on the tar command, as it tells tar
> to read from STDIN instead of from a file.
> --

Da Dukk, on the road again!
http://www.NWGamers.org - for a good time!
http://greg.nokes.name Ramblings from the Roost - For a Bad Time!