[wp-testers] Nightly Builds/WinZip Replacement

Doug Stewart dstewart at atl.lmco.com
Thu Jan 12 18:59:29 GMT 2006

tsykoduk wrote:
> Or, simply
>
> gzip -d foo.tar.gz
>
> and then
>
> tar -cvf foo.tar
>
> Not the most elegant method - but I have never had it fail on any linux
> box. My Macs automagically uncompress and untar the tarballs, so it's
> super easy there.

The problem with that is that you're then left with an uncompressed .tar
file sitting on your disk, taking up extra space.  The one step process
(or, if you count using pipes as cheating, two step) process has the
distinct advantage of leaving the .tar.gz file untouched and unexpanded.

--
Doug Stewart
dstewart at atl.lmco.com