[wp-testers] "Categories"

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Wed Nov 23 06:13:22 GMT 2005

Stuart wrote:
> I still think that categories and tags are fundamentally different:
> Categories are used to organise and structure your site into seperate,
> heirachal sections. Tags can be used to describe the properties of a
> post and would be completely independant of the category of the post.

It's not worth arguing because we're both right, as we're describing how
we each use it. We're not trying to jump on the Web 2.0 bandwagon, just
addressing a fundamental UI problem that in the past it was REALLY HARD
to add a category while writing a post. As a side-effect people might
start using categories in a way you don't think they should, but that's
okay.

Ultimately the decision lies with the site author, it's not something we
should dictate. What you describe sounds almost more akin to
Textpattern's "sections" more than how categories have been used in WP
since 1.0.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://akismet.com