[wp-testers] "Categories"

Kimmo Suominen kimmo+key+wordpress.c4f53f at suominen.com
Wed Nov 23 08:10:38 GMT 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 12:13:22AM -0600, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Stuart wrote:
> >I still think that categories and tags are fundamentally different:
> >Categories are used to organise and structure your site into seperate,
> >heirachal sections. Tags can be used to describe the properties of a
> >post and would be completely independant of the category of the post.
>
> It's not worth arguing because we're both right, as we're describing how
> we each use it. We're not trying to jump on the Web 2.0 bandwagon, just
> addressing a fundamental UI problem that in the past it was REALLY HARD
> to add a category while writing a post. As a side-effect people might
> start using categories in a way you don't think they should, but that's
> okay.

I've been using "categories as tags" and I quite like the effect that
the "tags" can be placed in a hierarchy where appropriate.  It seems to
work well for my small site.  I've had an input field for quickly adding
new categories as well, so 2.0 will have what I've already become used
to -- how nice is that!

One reason I chose to use categories instead of separate tags is that
this integrates nicely with w.bloggar, as it already knows how to pick
multiple categories for a post.

Plugins:
http://agkamai.org/cat2tag
http://hitormiss.org/archives/2004/12/20/weighted-categories-list-in-wordpress/

> Ultimately the decision lies with the site author, it's not something we
> should dictate. What you describe sounds almost more akin to
> Textpattern's "sections" more than how categories have been used in WP
> since 1.0.

I couldn't agree more, and plugins are such an excellent way for authors
to be able to change WordPress to their liking.

Regards,
+ Kimmo
--
<A HREF="http://kimmo.suominen.com/">Kimmo Suominen</A>