[wp-testers] "Categories"

Nickolas Means nmeans at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 00:43:20 GMT 2005

> Having just 'tagories' (nice word btw!) would make a Wordpress site
> difficult to navigate and difficult to structure in any meaningful
> way. (in my opinion)

My thinking is quite the opposite of this.  It would get confusing
for readers in the long run if a site had both tags and categories.
If someone really wants to see all your reviews then they can click
on your "Reviews" tag and they'll all come up.  If they want movie
reviews, then click on "Movies" in a list of common tags that pops up
in your reviews archive section.  Or, properly implemented,
your.url.com/tags/reviews+movies.

Tags give the user the flexibility of using your site the way they
want to, not the way you want them to.  If using both categories and
tags, is there a way to find all News relevant to "Germany" without
finding a post about your trip to Germany last year? If not, then
you're including information that the user probably doesn't want.  If
News were a tag instead of a category, then the user could use this
to drill down as specifically as they wanted.

In my opinion, tags empower the user whereas categories limit the
user.  Thoughts?

Nick