[wp-testers] Quote?

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Fri Nov 18 14:43:44 GMT 2005

Doug Stewart wrote:
> All due respect, Owen, but semantics _do_ matter.  The default theme
> outputs blockquotes styled with quotes.  If the WYSIWYG editor is
> outputting <blockquote>, then newbies will start asking "Why are my
> indents all showing up with quote marks?" in the fora.

Don't you find this styling of a block quote perfectly acceptable for
text that was marked-up as <blockquote>?  If anything is wrong, then
it's the label on the button, not its function.

Perhaps the correct *question* to ask is, "How do I style the tags that
WordPress does create to look like how I want?"

> I think that those on the design/implementation side of things MUST be
> pedantic and think through their actions, lest they incur all manner
> of unforseen consequences down the line.

Of what I've seen people ask for - usually two separate buttons, one for
"indent" tag, because the act of indenting is a layout feature.

Anyway, even popular services such as Technorati have all but eschewed
semantic markup for microformats (custom rel attributes).  WordPress
itself uses XFN microformats in its blogroll.  I've always considered
WordPress an effective instrument in swaying web technology, but I'm not
convinced that blogging will benefit from exclusively semantic tagging,
nor will it suddenly change its course away from what it's already doing
just because WordPress implements it.

Besides that, the markup that the WYSI editor creates is largely out of
our control anyway.  The TinyMCE editor is a part of WordPress that is
included from a separate project on sourceforge, and the button merely
triggers a feature of the browser's built-in editing capabilities.  If
there is a true argument to use semantically correct tagging in the
editor, it should probably be addressed on their support channels.

Doesn't Andy have enough to do, after all?  ;)

Owen