[wp-testers] Blank category base

Stuart amanzimtoti at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:22:00 GMT 2005

I've seen this crop up in the support forums a few times but nobody
has really come up with a solution yet. Also the htaccess file has
changed heaps since 1.5.2 so I don't really know that much about it to
troubleshoot further.

Basically I want to have a blank category base so that my categories
appear to be the navigation levels. You can see my test site here:
http://test.amanzi.co.nz and you can see how I want to rely on
categories for the navigation. I have found the line in the
classes.php file which removes the default 'category' word from
appearing in the navigation - it's on line 1031, I changed this:

		if (empty($this->category_base))
			$this->category_structure = $this->front . 'category/';
		else
			$this->category_structure = $this->category_base . '/';

To look like this

		if (empty($this->category_base))
//stuart's hack
			$this->category_structure = $this->front;
		else
			$this->category_structure = $this->category_base . '/';

At first it appears to work well, I can browse the category structure
perfectly and the relevant posts are displayed for each category.
However, when I click on an individual post's link, I get the correct
url displayed in the address bar of the browser, but I get a listing
of all posts instead of just the single post.

I would really like to get this to work properly - can anyone offer some advice.

Cheers - Stuart.