[wp-testers] Persistent Cache Turned On

Jason Bainbridge jbainbridge at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 03:32:16 GMT 2005

On 11/11/05, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
> The persistent cache has been turned on by default in the latest svn.
> If your wp-content directory is writable, cache files will start to show
> up.  If you've already been testing the cache, you might want to delete
> the cache files since their format has changed a couple of times.
>
> The cache files should expire after 1 day.   If you want to change the
> expiration, define CACHE_EXPIRATION_TIME in your wp-config.php.  Set it
> to whatever timeout you like, in seconds.
>
> define('CACHE_EXPIRATION_TIME', 86400);
>
> If you want to disable the persistent cache, define DISABLE_CACHE in
> wp-config.php.
>
> define('DISABLE_CACHE', true);
>
> By default, the cache writes to wp-content/cache/.  If you would like to
> locate your cache outside of your document root, define CACHE_PATH in
> wp-config.php.  Make sure the directory it points at already exists and
> is writable.
>
> define('CACHE_PATH', '/var/cache/wp/');
>
> Thanks for testing.

I haven't gotten around to testing this properly although it is
running on my live site, just fine for the most part that is except
for twice when for some reason my site stopped responding like it
would do if Apache is down. It did this just a few minutes ago and
about the same time last night as well, simply SSH'ng in and doing a
rm-rf * in wp-content/cache immediately fixed the problem both times.

It was both the admin side and the actual blog that had the problem,
looking at Apache's status at the time revealed there was no problems
there so it is kind of strange how a caching mechanism could make your
whole site stop responding.

Is there anything you would like me to look at next time it happens?
Take a copy of the cache directory maybe?

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge
An Aussie geek stuck in Texas - http://jasonbainbridge.com