[wp-testers] Seems to be truncating (bad php?)

Morgan Doocy morgan at doocy.net
Mon Mar 28 20:02:05 GMT 2005

On Mar 25, 2005, at 9:47 PM, Jibben Nee wrote:
> It seems that when I post something, I'm faced with an incomplete
> page. The post goes through perfectly, but the following page only
> goes up to the menubar for write post and write page.
>
> Also, it seems that when I post a comment, I'm faced with a blank
> page. Not sure if these two are related, but I don't recall this being
> an issue before I started the svn series. Anyone else?

I started seeing this when I switched servers, from self-hosting on
4.3.8 to TextDrive on 5.0.3.

I was able to fix it though. I did some troubleshooting deactivating
plugins and noticed that the issue disappeared after I disabled a
particular plugin. I then realized that it reminded me of an issue I
saw when I was testing plugins that were saved with a BOM, so the first
thing I did was to check for that. My text editor said there wasn't a
BOM in the file, but I did a "Save As" anyhow, to force it to rewrite
the file, and for some reason the issue completely disappeared after
that. Go figure. I still don't know if it was related to a BOM or not,
but somehow saving it again fixed everything.

So to the folks who are experiencing this issue: try disabling plugins
one at a time (you'll have to switch to the default theme to test), and
once the issue goes away, try simply opening the last plugin disabled,
and doing a forceful save to make sure the entire file gets rewritten
again. Let us know if the same thing works for you.

Version info:

$ php -v
PHP 5.0.3 (cli) (built: Mar  2 2005 17:14:19)
Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.0.3, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
     with eAccelerator v0.9.2, Copyright (c) 2004-2004 eAccelerator, by
eAccelerator
     with Zend Extension Manager v1.0.6, Copyright (c) 2003-2004, by
Zend Technologies
     with Zend Optimizer v2.5.7, Copyright (c) 1998-2004, by Zend
Technologies
$ httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.0.53
Server built:   Mar  2 2005 10:58:33

The nightlies don't have the date in the version string anymore, so I
don't know what date I last updated. Within the past week and a half or
so.

Morgan