[wp-testers] Cahrset and feed

Luc Saint-Elie lstelie at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 12:34:29 GMT 2005

Hello ecto,

2005/7/10, ecto Support <ecto at kung-foo.tv>:

> I would not put much weight on how iTunes handles feeds:
> http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2005/07/06/Shameless-Pandering

Great but today for people publishing Podcast, iTunes is (weither we like it
or not) THE way to access the sites. In my browsers access list, iTunes
counts today (after only one week) for 38% of the accesses and all people
I'm in contact with are in the same situation.

On the top of that I personally strongly think that the future of personal
publication is not more "text publication" but multimedia (in the whole
sense, text, sound, images, video..) so iTunes is only the big first of what
will probably be a long list of challenges for software designed to output
text.

> I have a huge lot of problems with RSS2 and iTunes seems very
> > sensible to
> > this, amon those some questions :
> >
> > 1) is there a WP function to remove HTML tags.
> >
> > For example <![CDATA[<?php the_content('', 0,'') ?>]]> returns
> > This breaks <itunes:summary>
> >

> CDATA is one way to escape HTML content. If iTunes cannot handle this
> then you need to report it to Apple.

Same answer, I can't answer to my auditor "report to Apple" I have to find a
solution (I did by outputing a corrected static text xml file then doing a
redirection on it)

> 2) in the_content " ' " semm to be translated in " &#8217; " that
> > beaks my
> > feed is there any solution to have it un changed ?
> >

> Why would a XML entity break your feed? That doesn't make sense.

Life is not always full of sense, but in this case I know I have "to report
to feed validator", but as a mater of fact a feed with such entities doesn't
validate

By the way it's an interesting challenge, I don't know if I'll succeed (or
even have time to do it) but I'll try to work on a "feedbox" for wp, a
parallel administration script that manage various flavor of feeds and
output a static file..

Luc