[wp-testers] TinyMCE - AdBlock Collision

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 19:42:27 GMT 2005

On 12/6/05, Roy Schestowitz <wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com> wrote:
> There  are actually a number of selectors that match "advanced". By stick-
> ing to the word "advanced", you leave yourself with 3 letters that precede
> common advertisement graphics. Changing these in AdBlock as to prevent the
> collision  would  significantly reduce its effectiveness, i.e. weaken  the
> success rate.

Yes, this is true. However, I quite honestly don't give a damn about
whether you have to look at 2% of the ads out there instead of 1%.
You, the user, are purposefully breaking your own browser. Given the
billions of web sites out there, there are probably millions that
serve non-ad images from a subdirectory called "advanced." Certainly
any site using TinyMCE with the default theme (advanced) will be
affected. The source of this too-liberal selector is ultimately
responsible and should be responsive to feedback, especially if it
comes from more than one person.

Now that it is clear to you how strongly I feel about pandering to the
"I can't be bothered to look at advertisements" crowd by considering
all words beginning with "adv" off-limits in URLs, I will concede that
I do not have control over the WordPress codebase, I do not have
commit rights, and I am not the only person capable of creating
patches for the core. This is OSS and I am merely a contributor. All I
can do is what I think is the right thing, which involves contacting
the source of the problem to effect a proper resolution.

I hope nothing in this email hurts anybody's feelings.

Andy