[wp-testers] TinyMCE - AdBlock Collision

Roy Schestowitz wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com
Tue Dec 6 13:48:43 GMT 2005

Hi Andy,

_____/ On Tue 06 Dec 2005 09:11:44 GMT, [Andy Skelton] wrote : \_____

> On 12/6/05, Roy Schestowitz <wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com> wrote:
>> I have reverted back to the original CSS and disabled Flashblock
>> completely (it
>> was not intended to affect images). I can confirm that the outcome is
>> identical
>> -- only 2 icons show up.
>
> Your CSS file is the probable cause. Remove the selector I mentioned
> earlier and confirm that it was the cause...

Yes, I did that already. As I look back at the message, I understand that I
never stated that explicitly:

_____/ On Tue 06 Dec 2005 06:25:55 GMT, [Roy Schestowitz] wrote : \_____

>  * wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wphelp/images/help.gif
>
>  shows up because its path is different than most
>
>  * wp-includes/js/tinymce/themes/advanced/images/code.gif
>
>  in the above, notice the word "advanced" which vaguely resembles
>  "advertisement"...

There  are actually a number of selectors that match "advanced". By stick-
ing to the word "advanced", you leave yourself with 3 letters that precede
common advertisement graphics. Changing these in AdBlock as to prevent the
collision  would  significantly reduce its effectiveness, i.e. weaken  the
success rate.

> ...Then note the contributors
> listed in the CSS file and contact them with the details of the
> conflict so they can remove it.
>
> Hopefully their distribution is automatic so we don't have to worry
> about old versions kicking around.

_____/ On Tue 06 Dec 2005 09:25:44 GMT, [Andy Skelton] wrote : \_____

[...]

> The original CSS is still available on mozilla.org and gozer.org has a
> variant. Installation method appears to be manual. I haven't seen
> anything automatic.

Yes,  it's a manual installation. This means no notifications of available
updates/downloads.  Having said that, Firefox users are migrating to  ver-
sion  1.5  these  days.  With this upgrade, you might  hope  that  certain
plug-ins/settings  will  be  dropped, yet users and developers  prefer  to
avoid it.

I  am skeptic about AdBlock ever being dropped. I can confirm that on Lin-
ux,  the profile directory stays in tact during updates and this  includes
chrome. In other words, the CSS file, which is otherwise void or non-exis-
tent can only be changed if the user deliberately chooses to do so.

Cheers,

Roy