[wp-testers] Upload and use of Images

Kaf Oseo kaf at szub.net
Sun Dec 4 19:52:36 GMT 2005

David House wrote:
> Old system: start writing post. Realise you want to insert an image.
> Save post as draft. Click upload. Find file. Upload file. Resume
> editing of post. Insert (with HTML!) the image.
>
> New system: start writing post. Realise you want to insert an image.
> Scroll down, find image. Upload. Click-drag into post.
>
> Which would you prefer?

Well the latter, most certainly. But the new system doesn't prevent an
option for setting where the upload actually ends up. And that's sort
of what I stepped into this discussion to highlight.

>>An Options setting letting users decide to keep their old setup or go
>>with the new directory structure (or perhaps a hybrid where they can
>>at least decide *where* these monthly upload directories will exist)
>>is just providing users what they already had to begin with.
>
> You can decide where you want these monthly directories. However, it
> will be so infrequently used by most people that it's not an admin
> option, you have to edit cache.php and stick a line like the following
> at the top:
>
> define('CACHE_PATH', ABSPATH.'/wp-content/my-new-cache-location');

It's good to know it's easy enough to get at. However, please keep in mind
that, with the goal to remove clutter and so make things for us "simpler,"
removing a setting like this from admin causes (some percentage of) users
to have to edit and maintain the source, as well as add (some small amount)
to the support burden.

Doesn't make for a good example of "simpler."

>>P.S. Besides, something along these lines (if workable) could make for
>>an interesting user-specific setting.
>
> Typical (albeit imaginary :)) user dialogue:
>
> 'Hmm... what's this: "Have the upload screen on the Write Post screen
> or on a seperate page".

Again, latter is best choice, but does not preclude the *option* to choose
where the upload goes. Which, being a *semi-invisible* option of sorts to
your inquisitive imaginary user, is not a bad thing. So...

More typical (albeit imaginary :)) user dialogue:

'Hmm... where the hell are all my uploads going to? Gotta keep track of
them, since I don't have unlimited space, you know!'

Looks around for a setting, gives up, posts on the support forum.

'What the hell? What if I don't want to put my images there? And what's
this? "To change this you must edit a source file, as well as maintain it
through all future upgrades"?

'WTF?!'

;)

-Kaf

P.S. I disagree with this:

 > Options are evil.

And overabundance of options can be confusing if not bad program design,
but if truly evil, why have them at all? Instead, let's make WP install
with only the most popular (or just most barked about) configuration,
remove Options from admin (and the database), and have anyone who wants
to deviate from the norm edit an array of variables in a protected inc?
This would be the most beneficial move in the goal to remove clutter and
simplify administrating WordPress, correct?