[wp-testers] Upload and use of Images

Andy Staines andy at yellowswordfish.com
Sun Dec 4 14:58:31 GMT 2005

First off it was nice to know I wasn't alone!
And then thanks David for some suggestions... A couple of queries/
observations below:

> On 03/12/05, Andy Staines <andy at yellowswordfish.com> wrote:
>> (A) I don't want my folder structure imposed on me like this - I want
>> choice
>
> Most people won't be bothered about this, so the option has been moved
> to the actual code rather than cluttering the admin interface, as
> westi pointed out.

[ANDY] Will this enable turning off the area in the Write Page which
to me is just unwanted clutter? Could someone point me to the code
and I'll have a look see if I can work it out :)

>> (B) I want the choice as to whether I want thumbnails or not - and I
>> don't
>
> Yes, you do. Click on a photo and then 'Use Original'.

[ANDY] But ... unless I am mistaken, the thumbnail still gets created
doesn't it? I don't want my folders cluttered either.

>> (C) If I don't use rich text editing then dragging an image into the
>> post area does not give me HTML tags
>
> That's a bug then.
>
>> (D) In Safari/Omniweb I can't change the options on the uploaded
>> image
>
> You couldn't do that before either. And it's not our fault.

[ANDY] Yes I do realise this. It's just that I can use Safari/Omniweb
in 1.5.x without loss (just the quicktabs). If I were to use this
upload feature then I would not be able to use them at all.

>> (E) If I CAN change the options I want to use a class from my CSS for
>> formatting so still have to manually edit
>
> ...which you had to do before anyway...

[ANDY] Fair point.

>> (F) If I accept the OTT folder structure then how are tools like Ecto
>> going to work that currently look for a single image location?
>
> Hmm... good question. I can't see any immediate solutions to this, but
> what comes to mind:
>
> * Have a flat folder structure. Disadvantage is that some filesystems
> get really cranky when a lot of small files build up in one directory.
> * Have some kind of symlink, 'wp-content/uploads/current' or
> something, that links to the current month's folder. Windows
> implementation would be tricky.
> * Have a wp-content/uploads/current folder which is attached to the
> current month. When the first upload is made in the next month, all
> the current files in this folder are moved to the year/month folder
> structure. Complex, unreliable and a permissions nightmare. Oh, and
> it'd break permalinks.

[ANDY] What I'd like is the upload feature as per 1.5.x which worked
just fine for me. One folder, choice of thumbnail and gave me the
HTML to copy and paste. So am I going to need to write a plugin to
resurrect that?