[wp-testers] Query strings confuse rewrite permalinks

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 22:07:37 GMT 2005

Hi guys and gals, I guess I should have subscribed to this list ages
ago. Now one of my BOTD plugin testers is having an issue with
1.6-ALPHA-2.

My plugin depends on the ability to receive query strings on permalink
pages. This was seamless in 1.5 in almost all cases; only some sites
with index.php in the permalink structure would lose additional query
strings.

Now, whenever I add a query string to a rewrite-enabled permalink URL,
the query string is preserved in $_GET['foo'] but is_single() is FALSE
and is_home() is TRUE. This causes WP to load the home template with
the default query and, less critically, it causes problems with my
plugin.

I dug a little deeper and found $wp_query->query and
$wp_query->query_vars coming up blank when I do something like this:
http://gilford.textdrive.com/~acskelto/2005/08/07/hello-world/?foo=bar
so instead of showing the "Hello, World!" post, it shows the home page.

If I had any clue about the WP_Rewrite class I'd look deeper.

Andy Skelton