[wp-pro] Competition corroding community cohesion and cooperation.

OTCListings info at otclistings.com
Mon Jan 18 17:10:27 UTC 2010

I understand your concern, but I believe word of mouth and good work is the
value. If you are worried about the bidding process, than you are already
have been out bid.

Sales training for non sales types is a good place to start, as its about
building your personal value over the quick and dirty jobs. When I look at
wordpress professionals I look at more than timeframe and cost, I look at
prior work. This is why I believe there should be a directory of work,
pluggins, and projects displayed with the developer/design house profile.
Let work speak for value, some work becomes a commodity and bid down because
it is exactly that, while others achieve their value because of their
uniqueness.

If what is being produced is not unique, than you will not get the clients
who pay more or better. Wordpress is unique in the way that our community
has advanced the process of letting people who don't know a lot about
development use almost any application that is built on wordpress. While
behind the scene, those that know what they are doing are making better and
better applications. Pay more for something new, modularize the rest. It is
open source.

If the development of wordpress was subjected to the thought process that we
have to preserve our pricing for our work... than possibly another platform
such as Joomla would grow faster if it was cheaper to work with a developer
on that platform. I think the success of wordpress has been on its
relatively free, quick and easy approach with no frills or gimmicks
development.

I like the community how it is, I just wish we saw more work categorized and
displayed. As far as the group goes, please feel free to send me personally
a list of all the sites you have built on wordpress, and if you have the
time, what customizations and pluggins you have running on them. That would
be far more interesting to me than price or price preservation.

Also I wonder who on this list has built the most number or wordpress
projects? Not for bragging rights, but please email me how many wordpress
projects your team has done. Again, send this personally as the WP-Pro list
is for pro's to discuss wordpress... not be sent umpteen emails about other
things.

Once I have heard from everyone, I may write a blog on it and post it for
anyone in the group thats interested.

Thanks.