[wp-pro] Competition corroding community cohesion and cooperation.

Brylie Oxley brylie at gnumedia.org
Mon Jan 18 16:45:25 UTC 2010

Just a couple of things that stood out to me:
1) Arbitrarily determining a timeframe for a software project will not
ensure that the project will be completed within the deadline.
Programmer(s) themselves can more accurately estimate the project based on
their experience and intuition.
2) The lowest bidder mentality, while prevalent, will not ensure either
quality code or timeliness of deliverables. It is somewhat insulting to
simply throw a flopping flounder on the ground and expect whichever
desperate programmer to pounce while jabbing his/her comrade in the ribs as
a competitive tactic.

The lowest bidder outsourcing mindset is becoming status quo in job
communities. In the 21st century traditional jobs (and capitalism in
general) are in their death throes. Most of our subsequent efforts will
contribute towards temporary tasks and freelance projects. How can we
reorganize our community to sustain our efforts while ensuring quality
output and equality of living?
--Brylie
"..ideas should freely spread from one [person] to another over the globe,
for the moral and mutual instruction of man[kind], and improvement of [our]
condition.."
--Thomas Jefferson