[wp-pro] Discontinuing this mailing list

Mark E mark at edwards.org
Wed Aug 18 16:29:44 UTC 2010

On 08/18/2010 03:27 AM, Jane Wells wrote:
> Hello everyone. When this list was started back in 2005, there were not
> that many WordPress consultants, and not that many people hiring them,
> either. :) As you know, since that time WordPress has grown
> considerably, and the number of people making a living from
> WordPress-based businesses is amazing. There are numerous websites to
> connect consultants to gigs, referral services, help lines, etc. Because
> that seems to be where the bulk of opportunities are getting posted
> these days, we're going to deactivate the wp-pro mailing list this week.

If everyone used that same rationale there'd be no Internet, because
"back in the day" before the Internet opened up, everyone already had
ways of communicating and socializing and publishing.

> Let's face it: when someone says they want to hire someone for a
> WordPress job, making them sign up for a mailing list just to post an ad
> is a little ridiculous

The reality is that people have to sign up anywhere in order to post an ad.

> Mailing lists are great for discussions, but they're just not the best
> way to hire people.

Not sure how many lists you've used or for how long, but in my
experience over the last 15 years of using the 'net, I find that 10's of
thousands of tech people and potential customers prefer mailing lists.
I'd bet that there are plenty of consultants on THIS mailing list that
have gotten a lot of good business here over the years.

Plus having a mailing list adds diversity. Not everyone wants to dig
through a Web site.

My opinion on closing this list is: -1000000000

Bad idea. Bad for the WP community. Bad for potential WP users.

Mark