[wp-pro] Discontinuing this mailing list

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Wed Aug 18 09:27:07 UTC 2010

Hello everyone. When this list was started back in 2005, there were not
that many WordPress consultants, and not that many people hiring them,
either. :) As you know, since that time WordPress has grown
considerably, and the number of people making a living from
WordPress-based businesses is amazing. There are numerous websites to
connect consultants to gigs, referral services, help lines, etc. Because
that seems to be where the bulk of opportunities are getting posted
these days, we're going to deactivate the wp-pro mailing list this week.

Let's face it: when someone says they want to hire someone for a
WordPress job, making them sign up for a mailing list just to post an ad
is a little ridiculous when they could go to a site like
http://jobs.wordpress.net and put up a post that can be easily
managed/updated in moments as well as being seen by far more people.

For anyone subscribed to the list currently wondering where they should
go now to post jobs/look for consultants, we recommend
http://jobs.wordpress.net, though other sites such as http://elance.com
and http://www.odesk.com usually have a lot of WordPress gig listings as
well. There's also a consultant list at http://codepoet.com.

Mailing lists are great for discussions, but they're just not the best
way to hire people. Thanks for all the good times, and good luck with
your WordPress businesses!

Jane Wells
WordPress.org