[wp-pro] Discussion: 'Acceptable' and 'Unacceptable' Posting Behavior On This List

Made of These Studio made.of.these at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 23:46:07 GMT 2009

Hey everyone,

This might not be the right place to post this message to start a
discussion, but I couldn't figure of a better/more likely place to start it.

So please, if I posted in the wrong place and there's a better place, PLEASE
let me know and direct me there.  My intention is to start a discussion and
get things cleared up and confirmed for both the older WP pro vets here and
the newer incoming people.

After the more recent rash of people posting to the list asking for nonpaid
help (and help that one can/should get in the forums):

The question for discussion is:

*What IS and IS NOT acceptable/supported posting behavior to this list?*

*What are the guidelines for signatures in posts* (if there are even
guidelines to begin with)*?*

*What SORTS of posts are okay and what are not?*

Both answers seem to be pretty obvious (to me, anyways), but maybe we could
all use a one-shot clarification after all the non-wp pro postings we've
gotten lately.

In regards to ideas about deterring the off-topic posters from posting to
this list or blacklisting them, maybe there really needs to be more steps
involved in the signing up process for this list which includes a general
overview on what is and isn't accepted on this list.  Currently as far as I
know, the sign-up process for this list has no such thing.  If there's a
general overview guidelines thing pre-signup, then we on the list can
politely point misdirected users to the overview notice and then to the
support forum and if said person(s) don't want to 'follow the rules' then it
will be easier for us as whole to guide them out of the list.

Also, another issue that might be contributing to our influx of misdirected
users is that I know that there are people on both the .org and .com WP
support forums who have pointed users to our mailing list without explaining
that the list is specifically to seek out WP pros to HIRE with compensation.

If users who have been misinformed by other users or a simple lack of
appropriate information are sent our way and we direct them
back/elsewhere/send them packing, that's also a poor reflection on the WP
community as a whole in my opinion (but it just might be my own personal
opinion).

So... yeah.

What does everyone think?

Right place or wrong place to discuss this?

Anyone have other ideas or suggestions for tackling this issue?

Did I just make a fool of myself? ;)

J/K... sort of.

Hope everyone's having a great Friday!

~ Valen