{Disarmed} Re: [wp-pro] need ] Need to hire wordpress web developer and marketing

Chris Jean chris at realthemes.com
Tue Jun 17 14:24:36 GMT 2008

I just have to say something on this subject.

First my experience: I have had an overall positive experience with this
list. As a new startup, I don't have an extensive portfolio list to
point to since my former employer owns that work. So I've found this
list to be an invaluable resource for generating my initial client base.

Now for feedback from a new client: One of my recently-found clients
from this list told me that most of the responses he received were from
people outside the US, and he really felt comfortable with me due to my
response and the fact that I was within a couple time zones.

As for this list, I can't help but feel that the constant complaining
does nothing but serve to scare away some of the better clients. If I
were looking for work on this list, I would add myself and watch the
list for a few days. If I saw what I've been seeing for the past week,
I'd be severely turned off.

I understand that some people here are top-level professionals (I would
expect this group to be the minority and not the majority), but frankly,
most of the people asking for work here are not looking for top-level
work. They are looking for people who are willing to help them with
their project for the budget they have. Even if we created all these
"rules" that you must be willing to pay X number of dollars per hour,
you must put your budget in your subject line, etc, those rules would
rarely be noticed. Then the people who currently complain would complain
even more with torrents of responses saying, "read the rules!"

Something to keep in mind is that not everyone requesting work on this
list if from [fill in your country], and not everybody responding to the
requests is from [fill in your country]. This is an international list
with international members. So putting limits on who can and who cannot
send messages to this list will do nothing more than make this list
all-but-worthless. Besides, if someone makes a request and doesn't
receive any responses, a rational person would realize that either a) no
one is able to help them, b) there is a problem with what they are
willing to pay, or c) there is a problem with their project. If that
person sends another message asking why they didn't receive any
is below what we are able to work for and recommend that they seek help
on wordpress.org/support <http://wordpress.org/support>.

One last issue with the notion of people with professional-level
budgets. Why turn to a list of unknown strangers with unknown
reputations and abilities when you have the money to hire known
professionals? People with a budget like that typically have a contact
that can do the work for them, have a contact that knows who would be a
good designer/developer for the proejct, or can hire a big-name firm to
do the work for them. So please drop the fantasy that this list should
be exclusively for people with budgets of that level.

My advice is this:

    * If you are looking for someone to help you with your project, by
      all means post your request here.
    * If you are looking for jobs to do for whatever reason and want to
      watch this list, watch the list, filter through those that aren't
      worth your time, and don't flame the person making the request.
      Flaming people doesn't make you look professional and doesn't make
      this list look professional. So, if you have a beef with the
      "quality" of the requests coming through this list, either
      unsubscribe yourself or go rant about it to someone/something that
      doesn't make us look unprofessional.

tl;dr

If you have a complaint about the "professionalism" of the requests
coming through, keep it to yourself or remove yourself from the list.
Complaining about it just serves to make us look unprofessional.

Chris Jean
Developer
RealThemes.com