[wp-pro] installation trouble...

Getify Solutions, Inc. getify at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 18:30:11 GMT 2008

I have a simple debian linux server that I've run and maintained for years.  I've never had any (well, significant enough to give up) trouble installing or configuring software before.  However, I spent 6 hours this weekend trying to bang my head against why I couldn't get WP to install on my server.

I followed the installation guide from wordpress.org, but the main installation page would never come up, it just kept giving 404 errors.

When I first unpack the files into my web root, and visit the URL, it complains about there not being a config file.  So I know that at least the first part of the wordpress stuff is present and "working".

However, then I create the config file (by renaming the sample) and fill in appropriate DB information.  I then try to direct the URL to /wp-admin/install.php, and I get 404 errors.

The file is there, and it's definitely beginning to parse, as I can put die() statements along it and follow its progress.  It appears that somewhere inside of the wp-settings file it includes, maybe its trying to do a redirect or it is just failing or something, because I just get 404's.  I also get no errors in my apache/php logs.

I tried doing a bunch of google-searching, only found one similar problem with a guy using FastCGI, which doesn't apply to me.  I tried asking the "Install4Free" guys for help, but they said since I have my own server I ought to just know how to do this, and directed me here instead.

I feel like an idiot, considering the dozens of OS's and programs I've installed, built, etc over the years.  But this WP thing has me going crazy.

Can anyone here offer any assistance, possibly helping me get a basic install working?

--Kyle