[wp-pro] A Modest Proposal: creating a more exciting WP mailing list

Miriam Schwab mschwab at illuminea.com
Thu Feb 21 19:51:03 GMT 2008

I personally would like to see this list become a little bit more...alive.
Right now it's quiet for a few days and then someone sends out a request for
work, and then silence.

I'm on a few amazing mailing lists on a variety of topics, including the
Israeli WordPress Google group, and these lists are really active and useful
because people help each other out.

Basically, the lists become a type of community where people post requests
for advice, and lots of people respond to the list with their answers.

For example, this week someone on the Israeli WordPress list desperately
needed a way to enable his users to have comments turn up in his search
results. So I responded with a recommendation for the Search Everything
Plugin. Two minutes investment on my part, he got his answer, and maybe
others found that plugin useful too.

For those of you who don't want to spend time helping others since you don't
get anything out of it, I have news for you: you do get something out of it:

1. You help build up a vibrant community so that when you need assistance or
have a question, you have someplace to turn.
2. If you put your signature in every response, you can build up your
reputation as an expert in the field.

Just an idea.

Miriam
www.wordpressgarage.com