[wp-pro] Wordpress Programmers/Coders, CMS too

Jenny Lens jenny at jennylens.com
Mon Sep 10 05:06:38 GMT 2007

I am inquiring about Wordpress coding/programming for two different
projects, with more in the future.

I am looking for freelance programmers who can incorporate elements listed
below. One upcoming project is for a commercial client. The other is
programming for my blog/website, which also has heavy CMS needs.

The Wordpress stylesheet and components must be organized with a key to tell
me exactly where to click to change what, like a roadmap. I don¹t want to
spend hours figuring out how to change a color, a type size, or some other
component, like I do with the free themes.

The first project is a commercial one, for a major printing firm. They need
a total redesign of their online presence. They are talking to me about
marketing their work and overseeing redesign of their lobby, their kiosk in
the lobby, their brochures, etc. I work with a local designer.

That designer has clients interested in customized blogs/sites/stores, so
this could be an ongoing relationship.

In both cases, I would appreciate and would follow any design limitations or
ideas that would benefit the customer. And in both cases, I want to
incorporate some of the following elements. I would never copy a site per
se, but just use a feature from a site here and there.

My website is:
jennylens.com.
jennylens.com/blog.

I don¹t like the designs of either. I want to create a blog that is also my
site, with an eventual store component and dump the Dreamweaver html
website/store.

Any insight how CMS would benefit my tens of thousands photos and stories,
plus so many projects I want to display/share?

I like the horizontal nav bars with drop-down menus for Jones Soda:
http://www.jonessoda.com/blogs/

I found another designer who warned me I would run into problems relying on
a horizontal nav bar. She won¹t explain why she says it will break when I
load it up with too many pull-down items or buttons on the top.

Note the rollover links on the top right of my site, jennylens.com. I want
that, but set up horizontally like for Jones Soda, with gifs, not text.

Don't want the links across limited to alphabetical order. I rather have
Contact on the far right, Buy Photos on the left.

Examples would be:
Policies:
--License Photos
--Order Info
--Photo FAQs
--Shipping Info
--Special Orders

Band List:
--AC/DC
--Blondie
--Clash

Or I would like an expanding menu on the left side, where the child pages
pop-out on the right, when the mouse rolls over.

Need a key to the code so I can readily tweak it myself.

http://www.goodgrape.com/
I love the hanging tags on the top and bottom, and the designs behind the
blog entries and sidebars. That would not be for me, but for commercial
clients who are asking me about these issues.

Page issues:
I don¹t want every page on the top for themes with buttons on top. I want
pages for static info, but some on the side, and some on both side and top.
I don¹t want three rows of page links on the top.

I would like to incorporate top similar to:
http://www.stonebriar.org/
Click on the top ŒMinistry Index¹ and it drops down. That would be ideal for
my Band List. I can¹t tell you how many people ask me who I shot. Yikes, I
have 'Band List' link on top right. Too hard to click on it?

http://www.sethigherstandards.com/
Different home page. I'd put the animated gif of my photos and legal note on
the top. Then fill in the bottom with various links and small photos, like
the green images.

Photo pages:
I don't want a photo blog per se. I want to replicate pages I have. Some are
pure text and would remain part of my 'punk history' section, as pages. Some
would behave as customary blog posts.

Some pages would have my photos, but I'd want total control over that, and
not rely on gallery packages. But they would not be posts, changing all the
time.

So I want the blog to behave as a website more than a blog. That's the rub.

Yet I also will create some gallery shows for people who only want to see
pix, and not read stories.

I have to offer many ways of viewing my photos, stories, info, etc.

After this is set up, I desperately need to rebuild my store. I had a Yahoo
store, but it was costly and cumbersome, so I'm with hostmonster, who are
great! So that¹s another component. Perhaps Zen Cart or ?

I need pull-down menus so each photo is displayed once, but three or more
sizes, substrate, and price listed. I won¹t put one photo and 3 or more
buttons for each size, price. Again, I¹ll want to tweak it.

If you have time and ability, and want more info, please write me. I am in
the process of designing the new blog/website for the customer, which will
help you estimate the cost and time involved.

I also appreciate any input you have, any programming ideas as well, which
impacts the design. I am all about user navigation, and don¹t need a lot of
bells and whistles. These are not entertainment, graphics-intense sites.
Much more about making information easy for the user to access and use.

Thank you in advance.
jenny
Jenny (at) jennylens (dot) com
jennylens.com
jennylens.com/store/store.htm [photos/merch for sale!]
myspace.com/jennylens