[wp-pro] Wordpress PHP coding and design help for two web sites

Russell Bauder russell at writtenexorcise.com
Thu Nov 15 09:05:44 GMT 2007

So, I started my search for help by posting on iFreelance.com.  I've
received 5 bids, one of them for $12 an hour (I'm picturing child
geniuses in a third world country being whipped while they pound out
command line scripts), and all with questionable skills.  I want to
pay fairly, and I think I need someone with pretty excellent coding
skills. I've done the visual design, for the most part, but I'm not
so good at coding.

This was my project post on iFreelance:
---------------------------
I'd really like to find someone with expert Wordpress coding skills
and some design sensibilities too.  I want to launch two websites,
which will be very similar, but have slightly different coding
requirements.  I have already installed Wordpress and set up the
databases, but I need help with layout (headers, fonts, sidebars,
page layout), and some special coding requests.

I will have a blog/writing site, and then a photo site. There will
likely be about six pages, and the sites will be so similar that
virtually the same coding could be used for both.

Main page
Comments page
Search page
Category page
About page  (this could be relatively static, like a category page or
maybe the main page)

The special coding is a nice to have, but might be dropped if it's
difficult.

Blog/writing site:  I'd like the main page to display quotes from
archived entries (maybe I could tag certain sentences within the post
so they could be pulled).  The quote would link to that archived
post.  I'd also like a module for each category (which are
dynamically created by the admin tool) that has editable text.  Each
category would have copy and an icon that explains what the category is.

Photo site:  It would have a similar feature as the blog/writing site
for the main page.  It would randomly display small, faded,
thumbnails of previous photos used in posts (there is one photo per
post).  These thumbnails would link to archived posts.

I haven't completely planned out each page, but I do have mock-ups of
the main page that will help illustrate what I want.  I'm willing to
pay more for someone diligent, talented and honest.  I'm hoping to
launch these sites January 1st, 2008.

I would definitely like a teleconference to go over details and nail
down the scope of this project.