[wp-pro] help moving a weblog from Typepad to WordPress

alec kinnear wppro at emailias.com
Thu Nov 30 00:39:12 GMT 2006

Hello,

I'm looking for someone to help migrate a weblog from Typepad to WordPress.

Here is the weblog URL - http://uncoy.com

There are two major issues: programming and design.

1. Programming:

- all existing URLs are to be maintained: this includes both
- RSS type URLs can be redirected
- there's a bunch of legacy images which should be consolidated and
hosted from a single directory on the new WordPress install
- future URLs can and probably should obey WordPress rules

2. Design:

- I would like to start off the clean WordPress slate with the
existing design and typography. I don't care much for Movable Type
and Typepad but the typography is very good

We do a lot of WordPress programming and plugin development ourselves
but have not done a Typepad or MoveableType migration in the past. I
would like this to be done perfectly so I am looking for somebody who
knows how to do migrations very smoothly.

As a minimum you will have probably read through all of the posts
listed at the bottom of this page -
http://codex.wordpress.org/Importing_from_Movable_Type_to_WordPress .
The legacy URL issues and character encoding issues are  tricky.

We are also looking for additional freelance staff for both design
and WordPress site maintenance on our commercial projects so if this
project goes well, there will be some ongoing work for the right
person.

To recamp, what you are bidding on here is:

1. the move of the existing posts
2. resolution of legacy URL issues (not with redirects but by
maintaining the existing URL structure)
3. resolution of character encoding issues (I live in Europe so
there's lots of accents here and there)
4. consolidation of the image libraries
5. recreation of the existing Typepad design as a WordPress template.
If some part just can't be moved, we will figure it out.
6. rewriting of the Typepad CSS typography to fit the WordPress tags

This job will be considered complete on

1. visual check
2. a full link check
3. doing a site:uncoy.com search in Google to test legacy links there

Thanks for your time.

Alec Kinnear