[wp-pro] WP plugin - serving page-specific blurbs outside of the loop

Miroslav Chodak mc at mikino.com
Fri Nov 3 12:23:11 GMT 2006

Hi everyone,

I am looking for bids to develop a WP plugin for my blogs that would
display page-specific, styled content outside of the loop.

For example, I will want an introduction blurb on the home page (just
before the section with posts/excerpts). Also, I will want a
category-specific blurb (different from category_description(), which
I am using for META description). Finally, I might want to add
additional information before and/or after individual Pages or Posts,
on a per-ID basis.

It would be important that the blurbs are fully style-able with HTML
and CSS and it should be easy for my registered Authors to
create/publish such blurbs (ideally, via the built-in rich-text
editor, or a custom editor built into the plugin). Finally, it would
be essential that the plugin automatically recognizes when a page has
blurb(s) associated with it and serve it accordingly, without the
need to reference specific association from the template (so,
something along the lines of is_category(6) wouldn't work for me).

Here's how I imagine the plugin to work...

ADMIN

1. Inserts a call to function into the template files and uploads
them to the server. One template file could contain more than one
call to function.

2. Proceeds to write an unlimited number of blurbs (either using the
built-in rich-text editor, or a custom-built one that comes with the plugin).

3. Chooses how the blurb should be formatted by selecting a blurb
template from a template library (e.g.: blurb_header, blurb_footer,
blurb_category_2columns, etc.).

4. Creates an association between the blurb and a specific page,
whether it's one of the index pages, post, or Page (one way to create
an association like this might be to use the blurb's slug name; for
example: blurb-category-uncategorized, blurb-home, blurb-home-paged,
blurb-post-123, etc.).

VISITOR

a. Requests a URL.

b. The plugin will check whether the URL is associated with any of the blurbs.

c. If yes, it pulls the contents of the blurb out of the database,
inserts it in place of the call to function and formats it according
to the blurb template assigned to it.

d. The page, including the blurb, is then served to the visitor.

There are three challenges that I see here. One is to allow blurbs to
be build with the rich-text editor to make it easy for newbies to
style the blurbs. Another, is to pull blurb contents out of the
database and serve it outside of the loop. Finally, it's to create
functioning associations between the blurbs and the blog pages
without the need to code the template files for each specific occurrence.

If you think you can do this, please let me know how would you
approach this, your estimated time to completion and your budget.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Best wishes,
Miroslav