[wp-pro] Re: Need WordPress theme for Star Trek RPG

Jordan Krueger wolf530 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 30 19:10:58 GMT 2006

    Hi everyone,

    You may remember me from a few months back, where I asked for help in creating a template for a Star Trek RPG which wants to move to WordPress from phpNews. Our first developer fell through, and unfortunately were not able to put together the amount of funds our next developer wanted. So, now I'm back, and I'd like to give some real specifics this time so that I don't waste anyone else's time :)

    For starters, here is the URL of our site:

http://www.starbase118.net/members

    Please take a few minutes to explore the news function. As you can see, we have a category icon, an excerpt on the main page, the title of each post is linkable to the main post itself, and so-on. To see the archives of the news, you can go here:

http://www.starbase118.net/members/news/

    What we want is to move to WordPress for NEWS ONLY. We DO NOT need you to "convert" our entire site to WordPress -- we just need WordPress to display the main news, and then provide an archive like we have now. We also DO NOT need you to transfer the contents of our current news program to WordPress. We can do that ourselves to save money.

    What we do need is for WordPress to appear as close to our current design as possible. One of the issues I've had with WP myself, and the reason I can't do this on my own, is that I haven't been able to get the main-page news summaries to look exactly the same in a WP layout. WP likes to insert paragraph tags in there, and I don't know how to work around that issue.

    So, to be specific...

1. Main page: Needs to display EXACTLY as it does now, on our current site.

2. Article pages: Need to be just slightly tweaked from what they look like now. Here's an example of an article page now:
    http://www.starbase118.net/members/index.php?action=fullnews&id=211
    Article pages will change somewhat, as the sidebar boxes on the right need different content. We'd like to have one box display the time/date stamp of the post (if possible -- if not, that can still go after the post itself), and then a second box for RSS feeds and such. These boxes are simple php include templates on our end, so it's just a matter of creating a sidebar template which feeds that information into it, I presume.

3. Comments: We do not need a separate comments template.

4. Pages: We will want a simple "page" template that looks like the main page, except without the sidebar of boxes on the right.

5. Category archive: We need a page like the news archive I mentioned above that has a list of all the categories. After clicking on a category, the user would be taken to a list of posts in that category, organized with the most recent post first, oldest post last.

    Our time frame is: ASAP, and cheap as possible :)

    Payment is the sticking issue. We're a small group of Star Trek fans, and most of are pretty broke, as I'm sure you've all heard before. That being said, we can really only allocate about $100 (slightly negotiable) for this project. We have bills to pay to keep the site open, and so-on.

    We're hoping there's someone out there who can help us make this happen! Please respond directly to me, wolf530 at yahoo.com  Thank you, everyone, for your time!

    Jordan