[wp-polyglots] 2.7 is coming

Stefano Aglietti steagl4ml at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 17:03:14 GMT 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:14:43 +0100, Mattias Tengblad <mst at eyesx.com>
wrote:

>This doesn't make any sense i my mind. If a team is running a locale
>site elsewhere, the most likely place users would visit to find install
>docs and stuff like that (in their lang) would be on that site, not some
>subdomain on wordpress.org.
>
>And lets face it, this is more work for the teams regardless. Bad
>solution in my opinion.

I do not agree, we have italian loca site on oue own since 2005, it's
a reference point for italian community andwe offer blog a forum a
wiki and wp download (in various flavor).

But since few months (even is more than one year I was plannig to add
it.wordpress.org but I'm busy and lazy :) )we starte it too. Took few
work to set it up, and cause we mantain alla translation on SVN for
years the translation file are already there. Having automatic update
done through the locale sites would be a nightmare and will need to be
coded in some way in the Wp code or a complex system on wordpress.org
side... and this method will apply easily in future for WPMU or
bbPress etc... allowing locale team to start new support site for
other WP product easily and expanding them localy later.

The extra work is just fewe click after making a new tags or brach
version to make the file available in it.worpdress.org too.

With 2.7 there is a need for a central point for file download, the
country code to make the locale wordpress.org afddress is easily
calculated using the gettext funtion of WP, the file generated from
SVN are always correct, and is a good place for a backup point of
download in case of failiure of locale site... As I said it's so
lettle few extraworks for teams agains so many benefit that it's worth
to have it.

On it.wordpress.org we never blog, the only introduction article is
available and there is lot of links to italina site where people can
find more info and support in its language.

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it