[wp-polyglots] HTML entities in translated strings

Thomas Henlich thomas at henlich.de
Wed Mar 12 10:19:27 GMT 2008

Hi everyone,

in order to accomodate for different character encodings in WP, I am
always using HTML entities in translations (e.g. ä instead of ä).

However, I came across some cases where this does not work.

For example, in wp-includes/script-loader.php:143

$this->localize( 'post', 'postL10n', array(
	'tagsUsed' =>  __('Tags used on this post:'),
	'add' => attribute_escape(__('Add')),
	'addTag' => attribute_escape(__('Add new tag')),
	'separate' => __('Separate tags with commas'),
	) );

the attribute_escape(__('Add')) would become
attribute_escape('Hinzufügen') which would become
'Hinzufügen'
which is not at all what I intended.

What should I do? Is this a bug in WP, i.e. should the attribute_escape
be removed? Or is HTML simply forbidden in this context?