[wp-polyglots] Strings and _c() function

Stefano Aglietti steagl4ml at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 18:30:47 GMT 2008

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 05:02:31 +0800, "Abel Cheung"
<abelcheung at gmail.com> wrote:

>Can you tell me where it is? I don't manage to discover the string you
>described. Now let me take some example from wordpress-i18n/trunk:

In trunk now there is not the exact example but i remeber there was a
string like taht in other versione and was one of the example used
discussin the need to have | comment

>==========================
>#: wp-admin/themes.php:36
>#, php-format
>msgid "%1$s %2$s by %3$s|1: theme title, 2: theme version, 3: theme author"
>msgstr ""
>==========================
>
>What is this, if it's not comment? This string only occur once in source code.
>The correct way (well, degenerated into _politically_ correct way) is:

SO... it's something totally unclear at first read and without the
comment i HAVE to go to codeand, I repeat, not all translators could
be used to php code. Adn if i use a tool for collaborative translation
that don't refer to code line (see entrans thread)?

If we eant to talk to the canonical use of tools and other stuff, ok |
is sometimes abused a bit in WP. But it works? It's usefull? Yes.. so
why waste time for this questions? An hammer is not made to brak
pecans, but if u have it and u need to break some pecans it works...
if a carpenter come to argue that hammer are not though for this..
it's a trivila question... isn't irt? :) Let's stop to waste bandwidht
too :)

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it