[wp-polyglots] Burmese and wordpress

Michael Sync mchlsync at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 01:58:02 GMT 2008

Hi Andrew,

Yes. The font that we used for my-MM is ZawGyi-One and it is not truly
Unicode. But that font is so popular in Myanmar Communities and a lot of
Myanmar Bloggers are using that font and we are able to search the Myanmar
text with that font so we decided to use that font for localizing Wordpress
for Myanmar language.

The most of strings are already localized (we may need to add a few more
since Wordpress 2.6 is already out.). All we need to do is that convert
ZawGyi-One Font to any unicode font.

There are a few font converter for that but When I tried using them for
converting, I found that those converters are not able to handle for
large-converting processes.

So, we keep on watching the status of Myanmar Unicode Fonts and AFAIK, there
are three versions of Unicode Fonts for Myanmar and we are not very sure
that which font will be popular among the Myanmar Communities and which font
company can provides the converter that can convert ZawGyi-One Font to
unicode font.

If you like to convert ZawGyi-One font to any Unicode Font, please let me
know. You can participate in our team.

Regards,
Michael

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Andrew Cunningham <lang.support at gmail.com>wrote:

> In a project I'm working on we are preparing to implement the my_MM locales
> in ICU and CLDR. Obviously these are Unicode based locales. We are also
> looking at implementing a Burmese interface for WordPress looking at the
> existing my_MM WordPress locale, I noticed that it isn't a Unicode based
> locale. For our purposes we'd need to use Unicode based solution because
> we'd be incorprating UNicode data form a number of soures.
>
> It would be possible to convert the existing my_MM loacle to Unicode, and
> we thought that other projects may be interested in the unicode based my_MM
> locale for WordPress. I was wondering if it was posisble for there to be two
> my_MM WordPress locales and whether WordPress could distinguish between
> them.
>
> Andrew
> --
> Andrew Cunningham
> Vicnet Research and Development Coordinator
> State Library of Victoria
> Australia
>
> andrewc at vicnet.net.au
> lang.support at gmail.com