[wp-polyglots] Call for beta-testers: official international WordPress sites

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Tue Sep 11 10:24:43 GMT 2007

On 11/09/2007, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> > What are the plans for countries that already have an healthy
> > community?
> The saying we have in Texas is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

This is good to know.
Now, while we certainly are happy to make our translation available on
the main site (we already are directly using the SVN to serve those
files, and are using the Codex:fr for docs), and are glad that
xx.wp.org sites won't overtake local community sites, a few questions
:

  - We have a striving community, with a healthy forum, a community
blog and a FAQ to support the forum. We also have a few projects under
our sleeves, to be released soon-ish, that would improve the site
further. So while we'd be happy to help set up fr.wp.org, what are the
plans to make a link back to community sites already in place?
  - The translation requires many files with hardcoded strings to be
verified by hand at each release, and some more lines are not handled
by the POT (tinymce...). Could you explain how the "build" system is
designed? Or is it simply "upload all your files using such directory
structure, and we'll take care of making and providing a zip/tar.gz
file out of them"?
  - xx.wp.org seem to feature a forum. Can local communities disable
them so that it doesn't act as a double with their own forum? Again,
what is the "link back" policy?
 - Even if you let communities handle themselves, do you plan in the
medium/long term to integrate them anyway? What would be the
transition plans then?
  - In exchange to providing the translated files, would a simple
redirect from xx.wp.org to the local community be possible?

Again, we're really glad that WP.org is moving forward with
localization (mainly for the inclusion of local translations in the
main wp.org download page) and will help as much as we can, but as I'm
sure you can understand, we are a bit wary about seeing 3+ years of
work and contributions be left aside.

--
Xavier Borderie