[wp-polyglots] Call for beta-testers: official international WordPress sites

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Mon Sep 10 20:37:56 GMT 2007

2007/9/10, Hasan Karaboga <hasan at teknoseyir.com>:
> Hi,

Hello Hasan, and all the others, who wanted clarification on our intentions.

> This application may be useful for the countries which has not any local
> WordPress site.
> But there are lots of large WordPress local communities like WordPress
> Germany, Turkey, France, Italy, Russia etc.
>  What does WordPress.org developers think about that communities?

There are several goals of this project:
- to offer a unified interface and a central place for getting both a
translated version of WordPress and WordPress support
- to help smaller communities grow faster and using less resources

> Do you think that aggregating the WordPress communities in the same domain
> and same design is a good way? I think some people will perceive aggregating
> the communities, as monopolization. I don't know the details, and the aim;
> so waiting some extra information about that. Thanks!

Let's think more of our users. I, myself, am the maintainer of the
Bulgarian translation and lots of people come to my site, who had
downloaded the original WordPress version, without knowing that there
a Bulgarian translation even existed. They just go to the WordPress
site, install the software and after that they start looking for a
translation. Our idea is to make this process easy and painless for
the users: they go to the WordPress download page and choose the
language they want. When they want support, they just go to the
WordPress site and ask in the forums in their language.

Of course, you have a choice. We neither want, nor can, force you to
move to wp.org infrastructure. I know many local sites have solid
communities, with crowded forums and hundreds of blog posts and forum
topics. All we are doing is trying to make it easier for users. And I
hope you will agree with me, that having all in one place makes sense
for the end-users.

Thank you and happy translating,