[wp-polyglots] Translation blues!

एस्.के skichu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 12:29:50 GMT 2007

Hi

I am S.K from India.

I have been using WP for both of my blogs in English and Tamil
(ta_IN). I have translated almost all the user interface strings and I
am doing the balance. You can view my blogs at the URLs furnished in
my sig.

I encounter 3 problems in the course of translating the messages in .po file:

1. When I try to update the legacy .po file using Poedit with the
latest version of .pot file after an upgrade, it removes all the
strings that are unique to my theme which are not finding place in the
official .pot file. It is a pain to note down the changed strings and
do the update in a work around to keep my labour in tact!!

2. Different themes use different text strings to denote even generic
items like "comments", which is substituted by the term, "Responses"
by some theme writers. There is no uniformity in this matter. So I
have to add it to the pot file and then translate it.

3. Another problem is that many theme authors do not gettext all the
translatable strings, forcing me to search for those in the theme
template files and hack them.

This applies to plugins too.

Can some standardization be introduced into these aspects, so that
l10n becomes a breeze!

Thanks and regards,

S.K
(username: kichu)