[wp-polyglots] How to create themes that can be easily translated

David Horat david.horat at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 16:41:14 GMT 2007

In the Designing Themes for Public Release[1] page just says that I
should use the _e function. In the Translating WordPress page just
says that for localizatino I should use functions __($message),
_e($message) and __(). But I suppose that these functions get the code
from the main .mo file defined in the system. It is quite logic to
think that each theme should have its own translation file. If not, we
will mess up the core translation file. So, how it is done in
WordPress? I haven´t found any other codex page for this issue. Thanks
for the answers.

On 1/27/07, Stefano <steagl at people.it> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 16:19:08 +0000, "David Horat"
> <david.horat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello all! How can I create themes that are easily translated? All the
> >themes I have found have  hardcoded messages. I got two ideas:
> >creating a \language folder with "es_ES.php" files which contains
> >strings such as $string['comment'] = 'comentario' or create one .mo
> >for each theme so the theme can take the messages from there. I
> >haven´t found documentation about how this should be done in
> >Wordpress. Can anybody help? Thanks :)
>
> On the codex ytou will find how to make a theme or a plugin
> internationalized as WP an easily to translate.
>
> --
>
> Stefano Aglietti - StallonIt on IRCnet - ICQ#: 2078431
> Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it
> Sites: http://www.40annibuttati.it (personal blog)
>        http://www.wordpress-it.it (WordPress Italia)

Best Regards,