[wp-polyglots] Re: Romanian translation, Launchpad, poEdit etc

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Fri Jan 12 15:46:56 GMT 2007

>     I guess I'll just have to wait till I get SVN access and that will be it. :) Thank you for the good news. However, you might've overlooked my other question. Will there be differences between WP v2.0.x and WP v2.1? I'm interested about this from the translation point of view,  of course. I didn't look for this feature in poEdit but does it have a tool for translation upgrades? I mean... can it import the translated strings from the old version to the new one, only leaving empty the strings that didn't match with the other ones? That would help. Because if we have to take it from the beginning on and on every time there are differences... that's not only time consuming but unproductive and, of course, frustrating.

Yes, there are a lot of new and obsolete string between 2.0.x et 2.1.
And that's where a) Rosetta becomes cumbersome, and b) poEdit helps.
See, every release has its own POT file (see here :
http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/pot/tags/ ). This file
contains all the untranslated strings, the PO all these plus your
translation, and the MO is the compiled PO. But I guess you already
know that.
poEdit helps because it has a "Update from POT file" option : you load
your latest PO, select this option, point to the latest POT, and
poEdit updates your PO with all the new strings, removing the
redundant ones. You than just have to translate the new strings, and
update the modified ones. After that, you're good to go.

HTH.

--
Xavier Borderie
http://xavier.borderie.net/blog/