[wp-polyglots] searching a tutorial on translating a WP theme

Klaus Gena klausgena at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 05:59:52 GMT 2006

I tried out poedit and it is surprisingly easy to use. I just pointed it to
the theme folder I wanted to translate (there was no potfile), set the
keywords (__, _e) and a minute later I could start to translate. The theme I
use (Sandbox) is now translated (partially) in Dutch (
http://www.ikenmijnlada.com/wp/2006/09/20/localisatie-van-een-wordpress-theme/).

Thanks

On 9/19/06, Arne Brasseur <arne at arnebrasseur.net> wrote:

>  Klaus Gena schreef:
>

> Can anyone tell me where can I find a tutorial on translating a WP theme
> (in my case Sandbox) using pot, po and mo-files (and not editing the
> themefiles themselves).
>
> Or is this impossible.
>
> This depends on wether the theme designer had translation in mind. All
> text in the template files should be enclosed in _(' ... some text ...') or
> _e(' ... some text... ').
>
> If this is the case they can be easily translated. You should find a tool
> for your platform to edit po files and convert them to mo files. On linux I
> use poEdit for this.
>
> You will first need a pot file for the theme. Either the theme designer
> can supply this, or you can generate it yourself from the template files
> (poEdit can do this).
>
> Once you have the pot file and a po/mo tool you can start translating.
> Perhaps if you tell us the platform you are using
> (windows/macintosh/linux/...) the list can give you more specific info.
>
> Best regards,
> Arne
>
> --
> Arne Brasseur @ your service