[wp-polyglots] searching a tutorial on translating a WP theme

Arne Brasseur arne at arnebrasseur.net
Tue Sep 19 18:34:22 GMT 2006

Klaus Gena schreef:

> Can anyone tell me where can I find a tutorial on translating a WP
> theme (in my case Sandbox) using pot, po and mo-files (and not editing
> the themefiles themselves).
>
> Or is this impossible.

This depends on wether the theme designer had translation in mind. All
text in the template files should be enclosed in _(' ... some text ...')
or _e(' ... some text... ').

If this is the case they can be easily translated. You should find a
tool for your platform to edit po files and convert them to mo files. On
linux I use poEdit for this.

You will first need a pot file for the theme. Either the theme designer
can supply this, or you can generate it yourself from the template files
(poEdit can do this).

Once you have the pot file and a po/mo tool you can start translating.
Perhaps if you tell us the platform you are using
(windows/macintosh/linux/...) the list can give you more specific info.

Best regards,
Arne

--
Arne Brasseur @ your service