[wp-polyglots] New default theme missing strings

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Feb 21 22:35:52 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 16:30 -0600, Ryan Boren wrote:
>On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 14:17 -0800, Morgan Doocy wrote:
>>If I understand correctly, this would eliminate the need for
>>hard-translated copies of each theme altogether, and would instead make
>>theme translation behavior similar to that of plugins:
>>
>>load_theme_textdomain("Kubrick");
>>
>>_e("Not found.", "Kubrick");
>>
>>Meaning that the /themes subdirectory of each locale in the repository
>>would be populated not by hard-translated copies of themes, but by MO
>>and PO files instead, nyes?
>
>Each locale should still provide an in-line translation of the
>non-gettext default theme.  Reading acid ramblings is bad enough.
>Reading them in a language that's not your own is worse.
>
>A gettext default theme would be offered purely to accommodate those
>wanting to present their blog in multiple languages.
>
>I think we can incorporate the strings for the gettext version of the
>default theme into the default pot.  This way the strings would be
>translated by all projects and be present should the user decide to use
>the gettext version of the theme.

On second thought, maybe we should use the theme textdomain loader.
wordpress-i18n/pot/trunk could contain a wp-theme.pot catalog, and all
locales would translate it.  It could be stored in
messages/theme/lc_CC.po.  Since we're having to add gettext to the
template anyway, adding a call to load_theme_textdomain() is no big
deal.

I'm not sure.  Either way.  Thoughts?

Ryan