[wp-polyglots] Serbian [sr_CS] translation

Stefano steagl at people.it
Mon Feb 21 19:20:09 GMT 2005

Il Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:24:10 +0100, "Mihailo Stefanovic"
<mikis at mikis.org> scrive:

>There are two things to consider here. First, blogging "scene" is relatively
>immature in Serbia. There are only a dozen or two really active blogs. So,
>my guess is that there will be many inexperienced users, and terms like
>"pingback" and "trackback" mean absolutely nothing to them. Besides,
>"technical users" are much more accustomed to using English only software.

This could be an issue, but new blogger  when they explere the blog
world will learn soon the new words... maybe having a site like we are
setting up (WordPress Wiki Italy) in serbian will help.

>Second, consider that Serbian is written primarily in Cyrillic script. So
>the choice is either to leave them in English, which tends to look ugly (and
>sometimes meaningless), like "URI ?? TrackBack-? ??" (URI to Trackback
>is...); or, they could be transliterated. Like words "permalink", or "web",
>or even "ping" which do sound naturally in Serbian, but "blogroll" and
>"trackback" do not.

I didn't consider the different script used.. I Agree that would be
fun have english word mixed with cyrillic text. I dunno how u
willmnage stuff like URI or URL etc... An idea could be having the
english tech word near the translation between brackets so you will
have : "URI ?? ????????? (TrackBack) ???? ??"

This way you will have a a good looking and you teach unexpirienced
user the tech word of blogworld.

>Actually, yes, I will, and I do :) E-mail is translated literally as
>"E-posta". Now, problem with "web" is that there is only one Serbian word,
>"mreza" as translation for "web", "network" and "net"; so we use "veb" and
>"net" whenever "mreza" is too confusing.

LOL :) E-posta would be the same in Italina but people is accoustomed
to this terms now.

Email: steagl at people.it - steagl at despammed.com
BlogPage: http://www.40annibuttati.it/
PGP keys available on keyservers  (cripted & signed PGP mail welcome)