[wp-polyglots] About the Rosetta system

Morgan Doocy morgan at doocy.net
Thu Feb 17 21:42:21 GMT 2005

On Feb 17, 2005, at 7:12 AM, Xavier Borderie wrote:
> If other contributors are around here (Morgan Doocy
> ?), could they let me know about them ?

Coucou Xavier ! :-)

> Also, to all francophone translators, shouldn't the fr
> translation (the one which indicates no country) be
> merged with the other(s) and deleted ?

Perhaps yes, perhaps no. It would be slightly more correct for someone
from Morocco or la Côte d'Ivoire, whose local dialect doesn't yet have
a French translation in Rosetta, to download a "generic" French
translation. But that's really just me being picky about semantics,
'cause it'd be easy enough to just download the fr_FR one, or whichever
is closest to their dialect. So I don't know.

> Finally, I know it's not my plate, but shouldn't fr_CA
> be in fact fr_QC ?

The 'fr' portion is the ISO 639-1 Alpha-2 language code; the 'CA'
portion is the ISO 3166-1 Alpha-2 _country_ code. Since Quebec is not a
country, it must be CA.

Morgan